Hmm,pazi ovako,malo je zeznuto
Zovemo ga WERE SUBJUNCTIVE.
(to se odnosi samo na to be glagole znaci)
Znacenje- non-factual and/or hypothetical meaning(hipoteticko znacenje)
HYPOTHETICAL CONDITIONAL CLAUSES:
– If I were you, I wouldn’t do it.
CLAUSES OF HYPOTHETICAL COMPARISON:
– He treats her, as if she were her boss.
CLAUSES EXPRESSING WISHES:
– If only she were here.
OTHER HYPOTHETICAL EXPRESSIONS:
– Imagine we were as rich as Bill Gates.
• How do we use PAST TENSE FORMS to express HYPOTHETICAL MEANING:
I wish I knew the secret of wealth and happiness.
– If only we had more time.
– I wish you had warned me about the faulty brakes before I took the car for a spin.
• WHAT ARE THE RULES?
– PAST SIMPLE TENSE – hypothetical meaning referring to the present
– PAST PERFECT TENSE -hypothetical meaning referring to the past
– WHAT ABOUT THE FUTURE?
– WOULD + BASE FORM, e.g. I wish you would buy a new oven.